Saturday, October 2, 2010

Readicide? Yes and no.

I agree that the "chop-chop curriculum" takes all the fun out of reading a book, but I also believe that some people will never be life long readers reguardless of how language arts are taught in school.  I don't agree with Mr. Gallegher's premise that we must produce life long readers, who read for enjoyment.  I don't think everyone must leave school loving to read anymore that I believe every student will love science or math. We all are taught about multiple intelligences, learning styles and interest inventories, yet Gallegher wants to make everyone read for enjoyment.  I beleive everyone needs to be able to read.  Everyone needs to be able to gather information from text and follow directions, but to say that every person should get lost in a book for fun is trying to put all our students into the same mold.  I am a reader.  Reading for fun in one of my favortie things to do.  When I start a book, I can't stop until I get  finished.  I forget to "come up for air",   I forget to do the laundry, cook dinner or vaccum.  My 18 year old daughter has inherited my love of reading.  I have read to her since birth and one of her favorite thing to do is spend an afternoon at Barnes and Noble.  She keeps list of books she wants to read next.  On the other hand my husband has never read a book for fun. He reads magazines about his interest because the articles are short.  He gets aggrevatied at my daugher and I when we get all caught in a book and can't put it down.  Just because he doesn't read novels for enjoyment doesn't mean he can't read.  I think it is important to remember peoples interest and intellegences in this whole "Readicide" debate.

6 comments:

  1. You bring up great arguments in your counterpoint to Gallagher's suggestion of life-long readers. I can see that maybe we should be focusing on life-long, purposeful readers. That purpose may be for enjoyment, or for enrichment, or for meeting the day-to-day functional tasks that living in a democratic society require of us. Perhaps, since he is an English teacher is sees enjoyment as the MOST important criteria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely!
    I said in an earlier post, with no intentions of tooting my own horn; I would consider myself successful, but I hate to read. Sometimes I will read magazines, but they are a last resort, and like your husband, it's because the articles are short. I don't think it's a crime that I have never been lost in a book, but a also see the importance of being able to at least read the book I won't be lost in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comments. Like you said, I don't expect every student to sit around and solve math problems for fun. I do expect them to be able to solve a math problem when needed. I think there is quite a distinction there. The same goes for reading. I believe that education is important because it teaches you how do do a wide variety of things. It gives you a base to build from and to connect with others from. What any one person chooses to do for fun in a personal decision. We live in a free country that encourages us to be individuals, why do we tend to forget that in education? We can't all be experts in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes this country is free...but to have that outlook on education is a little over the top for me. Maybe it's just my conservative upbringing. Teaching students to read and also be able to comprehend what they read so they can be productive citizens to me is not demanding they become experts. If educators take a back seat to reading and don't stress the importance then students take advantage of that and don't see the importance. By the test scores of Ga, looks like reading needs to be stressed a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. chop-chop curriculum. in essence i also see this as a bad teaching method that only aides in turning students away from becoming life long readier. in terms not everyone needing to be lovers of reading i disagree. reading permeates our everyday lives from reading a stop sign to reading the instructions on how to install your new TV. in my opinion everyone should leave school with at least a small love of reading

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate the variations of texts out there- you point out that not all readers find enjoyment from the same genre. While one of my sons reads nothing but non-fiction, my other son enjoys the "Diary of a Whimpy Kid" series- completely opposite, but hey, they're reading! I find for my struggling students that short stories seem to be the best genre in grabbing their interest- they are short, contain all the elements of a novel and usually have a quirky ending- something pre-teens love.

    ReplyDelete