Saturday, September 18, 2010

Endangered Minds

I am borrowing the title of chapter two because I agree so strongly with the idea that our students are not learning how to think and therefore we have endangered their minds.  I don't really know if it started with NCLB or before then, that teachers stopped expecting students to think.  Instead it seems like most of the test that are given ask the students to regurgitate information.  Students expect to be given a study guide that mirrors the test questions.  This falls in line with the fact that so many of them can not read for information.  If the wording is different they can't decern the meaning of the question.  Mr Gallagher is an English teacher and obviously writes about reading from his disciplines perspective and I am coming at it from the science classroom (specifically chemistry classroom.)  To truely say that a student has mastered any science standard they must be able to apply that standard.  But if a student is unable to decipher the meaning of the content in their text or any other reading you present to them it is hardly believable that they can master the standard.  I know the state test are generated from these standards, but it is difficult to go deep enough into any of them for the students to have time to construct any true knowledge.  I know I am talking in circles, but that is how I feel about the paradox of these standards and test.  The GPS that we teach require much more time than we have to be mastered by students.  Especially when the students arrive in chemistry unable to read the content.  They may be able to decode all of the words, but are not familiar with many of the meanings.  Or they have so many misconceptions about the subject as well as some word meanings.  As an example, I asked them to discriminate between the relative size of electrons and protons, ( this is lanquage from the GPS)  the only idea of the meaning of discriminate that my students had was related to race and being treated unfairly.  So I guess they think protons and electrons are mean to each other because of their size.  They are not good at using context to determine word meanings. 

Something that I found useful from this chapter is the idea of Articles of the Week. I think this could very easily be adapted for use in a science class serving two purposes, increasing their reading and integrating real world science issues into the classroom. Once again, this will take time away from the timeline for covering all the standards.  I want to have time to make what we do in class important to their lives.  I think I will just have to make time for these kinds of activites.

3 comments:

  1. One way that I have incorporated the newspaper in class is using The Wall Street Journal. I was fortunate to receive a free subscription that delivers a class set each month. There are usually articles that could be used in all content areas.

    This week one of our history teachers was amazed that students failed her test. She had included the answer for the each question in the following question. So the answer for #1 was included in the question for #2. She had 3 students who earned a 100, 10 or 12 failed. She could not beleive that students could not read the next question and figure out that the answer for the previous question was in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I read both you and Cathy's post - and I totally agree! I experience the same struggles in the mathematics classroom. It is certainly difficult to teach in-depth standards when students cannot read and comprehend. For some reason, I did not pay close attention to the Article of the Week in the text. But, what a great idea. The article of the week idea certainly incorporates real world applications to our current standards - just what our students need and desire to succeed! Good luck with your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I get soooo frustrated in my accounting class whenever the kids come in and do not want to insert brain and figure something out. I have to show them over and over and over again when most of the things are just common sense if they would just examine it closely. They just WANT ME TO SHOW THEM and only get it half the time.

    It is not just accounting. I am sure they are that way in every subject. I had another teacher tell me the other day that these kids have been conditioned too long to just get practice guides and then try to do it how it was done on the guides when it comes to the tests. Then they promptly forget it. It is very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete