Saturday, October 30, 2010

Ending Readicide

The information in this chapter doesn't surprise me. It just reinforces what I have been seeing in my own students and in the other reading we have done for this course.  Most of our kids have been is school since they were 3 years old.  They don't see and education as the great priviledge that it is; for many of them it is pure torcher.  I an not just talking about the student who has a harder time learning, but also the very bright kids who just don't "fit the mold".  The think outside the box, but we sit here shoving them in that box.  You have to bubble in these answers and don this canned experiment and be sure you get the same answer as everyone else.  We are destroying creativity with all the standards.  We don't have time to let the students ask question and find theanswer for themselves because we are "covering" so much material.  I am not ready to give up on American education, but we have got to start a revolotion and change the direction.

4 comments:

  1. I think that most kids do not see education as a “great privilege" but I do not think they see it as "torcher". I think that students just want to argue with anything that a teacher or an adult tell them to do. For example, if you allowed a kid to do what they wanted to do, and then come in as an adult and tell them to do it a certain way, they will argue. What I am trying to say is, I do not think it is so much that school is torcher. I think it is that students just do no want someone telling them what to do. So if you tell them to read it’s not going to happen. I am not sure there is a good solution to any problem in schools

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting conversation, especially when considering the adolescence and the development at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. I just discussed this in my blog. Kids have been programmed to memorize facts and regurgitate them on a test and then promptly forget them. The Assessment module talked about performance testing with these perfect kids doing college level projects. It is not reality. I push my kids on a high level and they hate it. They keep telling me other teachers don't do this, why do I??? I tell them that I hope they will realize what I have done for them later in life-----and that is to challenge them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember being drilled and killed by the GHSGT as a junior in high school--it was awful. I don't remember much of science because of this. It kills me when kids say that they hate school, or this is boring, why do I have to learn this? But on the other hand I understand why they are saying such things. Without hands-on, real-life tasks these students are going to flounder outside of the CEMENT BOX of school. I want creativity within the classroom as well as a high quality learning environment. Maybe if we work hard enough we can get this done within the current standards...I'm going to try.

    ReplyDelete